Apple cider vinegar has been popular for centuries already and has been used for several health tonics even before technology was developed. In modern times, researches were made with regards to its usage and benefits and not surprisingly, they were able to prove that it can help in lowering blood sugar levels ans serve as a belly fat burner. Additionally, there are also some claims that it is also effective for weight loss.
But before we go in depth, let’s try to understand what apple cider vinegar is first…
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is actually produced using two-step fermentation. The first step is to cut or better, to crush apples first then combine it with yeast in order to convert the sugar into alcohol. The second step is to ad bacteria so as to ferment the alcohol into acetic acid. Normally, it takes one month to produce an apple cider vinegar but some manufacturers use modern technology to produce it in as fast as one day. It is good to note that the primary component of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid.
This is also known as ethanoic acid which is an organic compound of a sour taste and strong odor. Furthermore, acetic comes from the Latin word, acetum which means vinegar. The acetic acid content of apple cider vinegar is usually around 5 to 6 percent. It also contains traces of other acids like malic acid; it is also known to contain water. It is amazing that 15 ml or that is approximately one tablespoon contains about three calories and no carbohydrates at all.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar Relating to Weight Loss
Apple cider vinegar, having known to be containing acetic acid offers various benefits for weight loss.
- This helps lower blood sugar levels. Lowering blood sugar levels mean improving the liver and muscles’ ability to take up sugar from the blood.
- It helps improve metabolism. Based on a study, this takes a role in increasing the enzyme AMPK which is responsible in increasing fat burning. This also decreases sugar production and fat in the liver.
- It decreases insulin levels. Decreasing insulin levels is not just beneficial for reducing its ration to glucagon but it is also considered to be beneficial in fat burning.
- It helps burn more fats. Stored fats are basically the reason why people are obese. With acetic acid, the genes responsible in fat burning are increased and therefore it also leads to lesser fat build up.
- Aside from fat burning, it also reduces fat storage. In one experiment, obese diabetic rats were treated with acetic acid. This protected them from obesity and the genes responsible for storing belly fats were reduced. It also showed that liver was reduced.
- Lastly, this acts as an appetite suppressant and a fat burner pill. Another study conducted suggested that acetate in apple cider vinegars are able to suppress centers in the brain responsible in controlling appetite. This often leads to reduced food intake and feeling of hunger.